Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Going Green... well sort of!

The house has seemed pretty quiet this past week. But spirits are high and we are all well.

This past week I've discovered and introduced my family to "Green Smoothies" I mean REALLY green smoothies! I've tried to make them for several years, just throwing in a little of this and that and.... well... quite frankly,  YUCK!  After the twins left I was determined to concentrate on my own health and feeling really good again. These last few years seemed to zap my health. So I've been following this recipe. Jon & I drink a quart  a day, and Aubrey & Daniel drink a pint. This recipe makes two very full quarts.
Put 2 1/2 cups filtered water in the BlendTec Total Blender.
Optionally, add:
½ tsp. stevia (herbal sweetener) or ¼ cup raw, organic agave nectar (low glycemic index)
¼ whole lemon, including peel (anti-skin cancer, high in flavanoids)
2-3 Tbsp. fresh, refrigerated flax oil (omega-3 rich oil)
Gradually add greens until, briefly pureed, the mixture comes up the 5-cup line (or less if you are “converting”):
¾ to 1 lb. raw, washed greens, added up to 5 ½ cup line:
spinach, chard, kale, collards
Puree greens mixture for 90 seconds until very smooth.
Gradually add fruit until the container is very full, blend 90 seconds or until smooth:
1-2 bananas
1-2 cups frozen mixed berries
any other fruit to taste: pears, peachesapplesorangesapricotscantaloupemangopineapple
YUM! After my first I've been hooked. A few detoxing symptoms, but wow... ENERGY!